Being the melting pot of different companies that it is, we’re always happy to hear at the Nairobi Garage that we should be expecting a new member soon.
The Danish organization – REFUNITE – is a proud organization that’s clear on its goal to battle the status quo in which anyone who joins their ranks will without a doubt thrive professionally.
REFUNITE’s mission is to empower the world’s refugees and displaced people, reconnecting them with loved ones.
Finance/Administration/Human Resources Associate
REFUNITE is searching for a detail-oriented, highly organized, and energetic finance/admin/HR associate to join us.
- - You’re an early to mid-career professional with strong written and spoken communications/interpersonal skills. We have a highly cross-cultural team and deal with a wide variety of people in the course of a day, so empathetic, continuous, and effective communication and the ability to listen should be your default states.
- - You are structured and organized – to a fault. This means you have an ability to take verbal instructions and run with them with limited supervision, while effectively tracking them so things don’t fall through the gap as tasks proliferate (and they inevitably do!)
- - You’re a finance/admin/HR “entrepreneur” – with a natural tendency to take ownership and responsibility for what you begin. In other words, you tend to take the initiative to spot and fix things that might go wrong in the future or prove risky if left unattended – quickly picking up organizational processes and dynamics along the way and getting antsy to find ways to improve them.
- - You’re a highly resourceful problem solver with strong negotiation skills. A true hustler. Bureaucracy isn’t scary for you and you know how to effectively push – and push hard – to get stuff done, whether with government entities, third party vendors, lawyers, accountants, public secretaries, real estate owners/agents, etc.
- - You have excellent time management skills – the kind of person who gets to events and meetings on time and holds others to that same standard.
- - Generally: taking ownership of REFUNITE’s needs around staff support, financial/legal administration, and all related tasks that keep the organization a tight, well-operating ship in compliance with the law and applicable best practices.
- -Establishing efficient systems, improving on existing ones, and automating as necessary with the finance, administration, legal, and HR spaces.
- - Processing payroll and making all relevant statutory payments for RU staff on a monthly basis.
- - Maintaining accurate financial accounts, including book keeping.
- - Working with government entities to get various certifications, documents, permits, and other such needs in order for REFUNITE. Travel as necessary throughout Nairobi (and sometimes elsewhere) to do this.
- - Organize for printing, delivering/couriering, and other miscellaneous needs throughout Nairobi.
- - Procurement, dealing with 3rd-party vendors, and maintaining inventories of REFUNITE assets and office supplies.
- - Setting up and being responsible for REFUNITE’s financial transactions, budgets, expense approvals, payroll processing, audits, and associated duties.
- - Booking travel and accommodation for traveling REFUNITE staff.
- - Events setup/management.
- - Creating and tracking contracts, on/offboarding new/departing staff, and implementing REFUNITE’s HR policies.
- - Ad-hoc administrative tasks.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- - Comfort with MS Office, Google Docs, and Dropbox, with the ability to quickly pick up organizational software such as Trello, Jira, and various CRM systems.
- - Law degree along with basic accounting/budgeting, project management, and/or HR experience preferred. Academic background is much, much less important than relevant skillsets, however.
- - Experience in a similar role working for a technology company or fast-moving startup is a big positive.
What REFUNITE can offer:
- - Being part of an ambitious, fast-paced, skilled, and international team
- - A great work environment with highly enthusiastic and smart colleagues
- - Contributing to a powerful social mission: reconnecting the world’s displaced with their family and loved ones
- - Salary commensurate with experience
- - Paid vacation from year one
- - Medical cover
How to apply:
- - Send your CV and 2 references to [email protected]
- - Please indicate your salary requirements
- - Mark your application with the title “Finance/Admin/HR Associate”
- - NOTE: Due to the volume of applications, we can only respond to those selected for a screening interview.
The finance/admin/HR associate is a true anchor for the Nairobi office of REFUNITE, responsible for many organizational processes and generally making sure everything is up and running as it should. The successful candidate will report directly to the Africa Director.