Our member, Maliasili is looking for a manager for its Kenyan Office who will help lead and facilitate the organizational development support to the company’s partners and help them become stronger organizations and achieve their goals and missions.
You will also be tasked with understanding the functional elements of an effective organization which is at the core of Maliasili’s work, and have a command of these elements and the characteristics of a highly effective organization.
Portfolio Organizational Information
Maliasili is a dynamic and innovative organization that is taking a different approach to driving conservation impact in Africa.
The organisation finds the best local African conservation organizations and make them better by building their capacity and improving their performance so that they can grow their impact.
The partner portfolio includes some of the leading organizations in East and Southern Africa and Madagascar, working at the forefront of conservation across wildlife, forestry, and marine resource management.
Since its founding in 2011, Maliasili has built a portfolio of roughly 20 partners working across over 25 million hectares of critical landscapes and ecosystems in four countries. We have helped our partners generate or leverage more than $7 million in funding for their work; developed a growing set of tools to help improve their organizational performance; and supported many of our partners to significantly grow their impacts in the field.
Maliasili’s goals are to build a portfolio of Africa’s best local conservation organizations, help them collaborate and learn from each other, and scale up their work on the ground and their leadership capacity within the conservation field.
Role and Responsibilities
The Manager will be responsible for the following:
- Managing partner relationships and working together with their leadership team , which includes providing thought partnership and collaborative problem-solving.
- Working with partners to diagnose and develop joint plans to address major organizational needs and priorities.
- Designing and leading effective organizational development interventions in areas such as strategic planning, work planning, strategic fundraising, financial management, monitoring & evaluation systems, and human resource management and recruitment.
- Designing effective meeting and facilitation plans to address a clear set of objectives.
- Facilitating productive workshops with partners to make progress towards broader organizational development goals.
- Improving organizational development expertise and staying at the cutting edge of organizational development and community-based conservation.
- Coordinating service provision from other Maliasili team members or external experts, as a component of overall partner support.
- Managing relationships with partners and third-party funders or key collaborators, including overseeing contractual obligations, reporting requirements, and deadlines.
- Cultivating relationships with other organizations in the field and developing a pipeline of potential partner organizations.
- Working with Maliasili’s team to connect partners to appropriate networks, contacts and resources within Maliasili’s wider networks.
- Supporting Maliasili efforts, including but not limited to strategic planning, leadership training, and monitoring & evaluation.
Key attributes of the successful candidate will include:
- Strong experience, skillset, and technical understanding of organizational development and/or business development.
- Strong organizational diagnostic and analytic skills – the ability to quickly and accurately understand an organization’s strengths, weaknesses, and priorities in a developmental sense.
- Experience and comfort in designing and facilitating effective meetings.
- Excellent problem-solving ability, capable of diagnosing problems and designing solutions.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills in communications, relationship management, team processes, and facilitation, including strong written and verbal communication.
- Outstanding ability to manage multiple processes in a dynamic environment, prioritize, multitask, and deal with problems adaptively and with a sense of humor.
- Passion for Maliasili’s mission to contribute to the development of organizational excellence and impact in African natural resource management and conservation organizations.
- Strong intellectual curiosity – we are looking for people who are interested in learning new thing and expanding their knowledge.
- Team player who enjoys engaging with and supporting colleagues but can also work autonomously when necessary.
- Broad and perceptive technical grasp of major issues in natural resource management, rural development, and land tenure in East and Southern Africa.
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred, approximately ten years of work experience, including management responsibilities.
- Strong preference for this position will be given to Kenyan nationals.
For more details about this job and how t send in your application, click here.