Job Opportunity // Data Analyst and Researcher with Code for Africa
Code for Africa (CfA) / ANCIR has an immediate vacancy for a Data Analyst & Researcher to join our main civic technology lab in Nairobi, Kenya.
About Code for Africa / ANCIR
Code for Africa is the continent’s largest federation of independent civic technology and data journalism laboratories, which build digital democracy solutions giving citizens unfettered access to actionable information that empowers them to make informed decisions and that strengthen civic engagement for improved public governance and accountability.
The African Network of Centers for Investigative Reporting (ANCIR) is an association of the continent’s best investigative newsrooms, ranging from large traditional mainstream media to smaller specialist units. ANCIR member newsrooms investigate crooked politicians, organized crime and big business. The initiative is incubated by Code for Africa (CfA) with support from the International Center for Journalists. ANCIR seeks to strengthen newsrooms’ own internal capacity, by providing access to the world’s best whistleblower encryption and investigative semantic analysis technologies, as well as forensic research support, and seed grants for cross-border collaboration.
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g., Statistics, Operations Research, Bioinformatics, Economics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering) or equivalent practical experience.
- 2 years of work experience in data analysis related field.
- Experience with statistical software (e.g., R, Python, MATLAB, pandas) and database languages (e.g., SQL)
- Master’s degree in a quantitative discipline.
- 4 years of relevant work experience, including expertise with statistical data analysis such as linear models, multivariate analysis, stochastic models, sampling methods.
- Applied experience with machine learning on large datasets.
- Experience articulating and translating business questions and using statistical techniques to arrive at an answer using available data.
- Demonstrated leadership and self-direction. Willingness to teach others and learn new techniques.
- Demonstrated skills in selecting the right statistical tools given a data analysis problem. Effective written and verbal communication skills.
About the Role
As a Data Analyst and Researcher, you will help track misinformation and disinformation online, including helping to identify the botnets and ultimate ‘puppet masters’ who are producing and disseminating the false content.
You will also find and ‘liberate’ key datasets about Politically Exposed Persons (PEPs) and organized crime and corruption that is often needed to debunk false info.
As an analyst, you will also work with newsrooms to help find the stories and trends hidden in the data.
- Working with editorial, technology, data and design teams, develop research topics with clear hypothesis, output, data requirements, and timelines
- Work with large, complex data sets. Solve difficult, non-routine analysis problems, applying advanced analytical methods as needed. Conduct analysis that includes data gathering and requirements specification, processing, analysis, ongoing deliverables, and presentations.
- Build and prototype analysis pipelines iteratively to provide insights at scale. Develop comprehensive knowledge of Code for Africa adopted data structures and metrics, advocating for changes where needed for product development.
- Interact cross-functionally, making business recommendations (e.g., cost-benefit, forecasting, experiment analysis) with effective presentations of findings at multiple levels of stakeholders through visual displays of quantitative information.
- Research and develop analysis, forecasting, and optimization methods to improve the quality of investigative stories and Code for Africa / ANCIR’s user-facing products.
How to Apply:
Fill in this form: https://forms.gle/y9p78c46NTxeJXqm9 by 15 September 2019.
Sound like you? Get more details about the job here!
Want to join our growing business network? Book a tour today at any of our branches and check out our amazing packages!