Code For Africa, has announced a job opportunity for the post of a Community and Communications Programme Assistant.
What the role involves:
As the Code for Africa Community and Communications Programme Assistant, you will serve in a support role for the organization’s Knowledge and Engagement programs.
You will work directly with the Code for Africa Knowledge and Engagement Program Lead, to provide cross-functional community, communication and outreach support.
You will also get to work with multiple teams in different time zones on coordination of outreach across our Hacks/Hackers chapters and other Academy engagements in Africa.
The role is divided into three parts: Communications, Academy Admin, and Hacks/Hackers Africa.
As a programme Assistant: Communications you will be required to:
- Coordinate Communications: Manage all Academy and Hacks/Hackers communications, including social media, Medium, Slack open community channels, newsletters and online publications.
- Campaigns: Support online and offline outreach activities and campaigns for the Academy and it’s communities, projects, apps, tools and platforms to ensure strong visibility among the Code for Africa internal and external communities.
- Events: Support Academy event communications, marketing and branding inclusive of the Academy’s events and workshops, working closely with the events and logistics team. When necessary, serve as a reporter at live events to create content for distribution across the Academy’s digital channels. Support planning for the Academy, assisting in research and development and content topics for events.
- Digital Engagement: Support tracking of digital engagement across the Code for Africa & Academy platforms and channels on social and digital media platforms, using relevant and best practice engagement metrics
- Content: Assist Academy in-country teams to create and distribute communication and campaigns, creating content that drive engagement. Champion Code for Africa / Academy tools and stories in newsrooms and journalism schools, and surface successful Academy case studies. Shape the content aspects of Academy events. This also includes working on sites for the different events organised by Code for Africa using WordPress.
- Community and Brand: Actively market the Academy programmes and alumni projects to encourage public engagement and stakeholder participation and to cultivate a community around the programmes. This includes curating the Academy participant / stakeholder community on the appropriate social media and open Slack channels, as well as shaping marketing strategies and brand collateral in support of the programmes.
As a Programme Assistant: Academy Admin you will be required to:
- Independently handle and work on all delegated Academy administrative tasks assigned. Ensure Academy programme alignment with administrative requirements of Code for Africa
- Ensure utmost attention to quality processes in Academy programme implementation
- Support the creation and updating of the Academy MOOC, programme manuals / documentation
- Develop and track agreed upon Academy campaign metrics with input from the Knowledge and Engagement Lead
- Regularly liaise, interact, support and motivate in-country trainers together with the Knowledge and Engagement Project lead
And as a Programme Assistant: Hacks/Hackers Africa you will be required to:
- Support coordination of the of the Hacks/Hackers communities city chapters outreach activities, including tracking regular meetups and online documentation of chapters activities
- Help review and support the City chapters to publish their blogs / blog meetup reports on the Hacks/Hackers Medium publication
- Support the Hacks/Hackers cities content, and maintain and update a schedule of ongoing communications campaigns and programs for city chapters flagship projects, including creating a shared database of visual assets, organizers webinars etc.
- Exceptionally strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proven track record of digital engagement, online community building and content creation experience for multiple online platforms e.g creating compelling, interesting content to support Social Media campaigns
- Evidence of strong execution skills on all aspects of content development: idea generation, research, writing, gathering input and buy in, editing, collaborating with designers and developers
- Experience working with large online communities
- Experience organising community events
- Creative thinker / creativity
- Working with online CMS systems such as WordPress
Good to Have:
- A genuine love to write, a handle on Oxford commas and a good command of the English language
- An interest in civic technology and digital and data journalism are a plus
- Ability to communicate ideas effectively and efficiently
- Disciplined work ethic: a healthy respect for deadlines, with an ability to initiate and follow through on assignments with attention to detail
- All round problem solver
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work in and add value to a global & multicultural team
- An ability to turn ideas into compelling concepts/copy, and experience finding avenues for distributing and sharing content where the target audience will find it
- Video and Event Production (Audio & Video) – including live streaming of events
- Fluency in spoken / written French not a must, but nice to have
- The position is contract based, for an initial 12 months, renewable for further one year periods, with remuneration subject to experience / seniority. The successful candidate will be expected to start as soon as possible, on an initial three month probationary contract.
How to Apply:
Send a compelling case(s) (be as creative as you’d like), with clear showcase of skills and past experience, Portfolio of completed projects / campaigns demonstrating your role in each and achieved outcomes / results, Your resume to email@example.com
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Starting date: Immediately
Salary: Competitive across global market
About Code for Africa:
Code for Africa is the continent’s largest independent open data and civic technology initiative. Our federation of partners in 20+ countries seek to build digital democracies that give citizens timely and unfettered access to actionable information that empowers them to make informed decisions and that strengthens civic engagement for improved public governance and accountability.
For more information on the job opportunity click on the here:
Want to work in a space full of creative and strong-willed entrepreneurs? Book a tour today at any of our branches and check out our amazing packages!